Process Flow A - Quick Reference Guidelines for Faculty & Staff
- Should notify Gift of Life of a potential organ donor by calling XX if brain death is suspected.
- Must notify Gift of Life of potential organ donors by calling XX within 60 minutes of the patient's meeting the notification trigger.
- Notify Gift of Life if family initiates discussion regarding withdrawal of support or their donation options.
- Gift of Life will determine if the patient had joined the Michigan Donor Registry.
- Gift of Life will establish the medical suitability of all potential donors, in collaboration with UM Donation Initiatives.
- Support may not be withheld or withdrawn prior to providing adequate time for Gift of Life to complete the evaluation and donation process.
- Only Gift of Life and UM Donation Initiatives may offer the option of organ donation to potential donors/families.
- All potential organ donors must be maintained while necessary testing and placement of donated organs takes place.
- Gift of Life can be contacted at any time if you or a potential donor's family has any questions.